That you are stay at home or venture out that NYE, having a festive aperitif will surely set the mood up when you ring in 2022. We don’t know about you, but in between New year’s resolutions and the ability to start from scratch, we believe New Years is one of the most inspiring holidays of the year. Start your year off on the right foot with this smoked salmon recipe! These bites are easy to prepare, healthy to eat, and fun to serve on your party plate. Roll on 2022!
Smoked salmon bites
- Seasoned rice crackers
- 1 cup cooked sushi or jasmine rice
- Pickled cucumbers (see below)
- 4 ounces of smoked salmon, cut into small sizes
- Sliced avocado
- Pickled ginger
- Finely chopped red onion
- Sesame oil, for drizzling
- Soy or coconut amino sauce, for drizzling
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 teaspoons of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Using a peeler, finely peel the cucumber into strips, excluding the center of the seed.
- To marinate the cucumbers, add the sliced cucumber in a small bowl with the rice vinegar and sugar, and toss to coat. Let marinate for at least ten minutes.
- To layer the bites, gently add a spoonful of cooked rice on top of the cracker. Next, add the pickled cucumbers folded over the top, then a piece of smoked salmon, avocado slices and pickled ginger, and garnish with diced red onion. Continue until all the crackers are layered.
- For added flavor, pour a small amount of sesame oil and soy sauce over each bite in layers.
- Pro tip: Add any extra ingredients to a bowl to make a poke bowl you can enjoy for lunch!
Do you like smoked salmon recipes and other healthy appetizers? Subscribe to our newsletter for more cooking ideas and tips!
Recipe and photos by Sarah Anderson.