Executive Chef Michele Koeniger’s love for pineapples led her to create this Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Salmon recipe.
“I love searing or grilling fresh pineapple,” she said, explaining that the process changes the flavor of the pineapple. “The chili sauce on the salmon is outstanding and the combination of it all is fantastic.”
Next week: Strawberry Crumble
Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Salmon
For 6 persons
2-2.5 lbs. Salmon
Salt and pepper to taste
1 small fresh pineapple, peeled, sliced and cored in the center
1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. soya sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat, add a teaspoon of oil.
3. Arrange the pineapple in the pan in a single layer.
4. Sear both sides until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
5. Add a little more oil and heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
6. Sear the salmon, flesh side down first. Cook for about 2 minutes.
7. Turn over and cook for another minute.
8. In a small bowl, whisk together the sweet chili sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and pineapple juice. Pour the glaze over the salmon.
9. Place the pan-fried pineapple on the baking sheet in a single layer.
10. Place glazed salmon on top.
11. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until salmon is cooked.
12. Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro before serving, if desired.