Salads are a great side dish or summer meal, but it’s easy to get into a salad rut. Good thingFood Network star Giada De Laurentiis covered us with a salad recipe that is anything but boring. But first, she reveals the savory ingredient that elevates any dish, including one of her favorite dishes: a refreshing summer salad.
Typically known for her pasta dishes and posting decadent recipes like her Spinach Grilled Cheese on social media, De Laurentiis’ salad recipe this summer has us drooling.
On her Instagram account, The Giadzy, De Laurentiis writes, “It’s a well-known fact that caramelized onions make everything better, and salad is no exception.
And when it comes to pairing salad and onions, De Laurentiis loves to add another surprising ingredient to the mix. A unique combination of grapefruit and caramelized onion takes De Laurentiis California-style greens to the next level.
A balance of tart lemon and tangy orange notes from the grapefruit beautifully complements the sweet, savory flavors of the caramelized onions.
RELATED: Ina Garten adds this surprising ingredient to take her fruit salad to a whole new level
“Deeply savory onions + tangy ruby red grapefruit make for a delicious contrast of flavors in this beautiful salad,” adds De Laurentiis.
Adding a red wine vinegar dressing to this citrus salad adds an even bolder and more vibrant flavor, perfect for summer nights.
Caramelized Onion and Grapefruit Salad Recipe
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Red wine vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
Caramelized onion and grapefruit salad
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced or torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- For the caramelized onions: In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onions, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until theonions are tender, dark, golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the red wine vinaigrette in a small bowl. Using a whisk, combine the red wine vinegar withlemonjuiceandhoney. Gently stir in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Put aside.
- Peel and cut the grapefruit. Add the grapefruit wedges to a salad bowl. Then add the lettuce, fennel, cucumber, green onions and thyme. Pour the red wine dressing over the salad and toss until well coated. On top, arrange the caramelized onions. Enjoy.
Suitable as an appetizer or entree, this luxurious salad sprinkled with pink grapefruit makes a great side dish for lighter meals. With its refreshing, sweet and tangy flavors, this dish goes withchickenshrimporsalmon.