GRANGER, Ind. (WNDU) – It’s a new year, and you might be looking to change your menu at home.
Chef April Howell of Martin’s Super Markets in Heritage Square shared some quick and healthy recipes on 16 Morning News Now.
She said it all starts with something you love and finding ways to make it healthier.
Adding nutrient-dense vegetables and protein to your diet can make a huge difference.
“I [have] one family, I have five, ”she said. “So, you know, make quick meals, something the kids will do. I take the kids with me so they like to create a lot too.
Here are three simple recipes from Chef April:
Nourishing white bean, lemon and rosemary soup
2 15 oz. cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth divided
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 C. each kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 15 ounces. canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 bunch of kale, roughly chopped
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup grated Parmesan plus more for garnish
1. Combine 1 can of Cannellini beans and 1 cup of broth in a blender; mix until completely smooth. Put aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and carrots; cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 6 or 7 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper; cook 2 min. Add remaining can of Cannellini beans, chickpeas and rosemary; stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the bean-broth mixture, the remaining 3 cups of broth and the chopped escarole. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce to a boil and cook, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes, or until the soup thickens slightly. Stir in the lemon zest and juice. Gradually sprinkle with Parmesan, stirring continuously (do not add all of a sudden or it may clump together).
- Pour soup into each of 6 bowls and garnish with additional Parmesan, cracked black pepper and chopped rosemary, if desired. Serve with crusty bread.
Pineapple Ginger Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie
2 cups of pineapple, coarsely chopped
1 cup mango, roughly chopped
1 3 ″ piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
½ cup of celery, roughly chopped
1 tsp of coconut water
- Add all the ingredients to your blender, food processor or smoothie machine and blend until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!
Tortilla Crusted Salmon Wrap
1 salmon fillet
½ cup crushed, unsalted tortilla chips
1 tbsp. Vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Slap Ya Mamma seasoning (or chili powder or Mexican seasoning of your choice)
Long Romaine leaves
Pico De Gallo (fresh from Deli or make your own!)
Queso Fresco cheese
- In a bowl or plate, add the crusted tortilla chips, seasoning and oil. Place the salmon face down in the mixture and press into the salmon to form a crust.
- Heat about 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan. When heated through, gently add the salmon face down to allow the crust of the tortilla strips to become crisp. After 2-3 min over medium heat, continue and flip the salmon. Cover and turn over medium heat and cook until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes depending on thickness.
- Once cooked, place it on a romaine leaf. Garnish with pico and a little queso fresco. Enjoy!
Copyright 2022 WNDU. All rights reserved.